Thursday, June 3, 2010
World Cup Football- Netting an academic goal!
Concept &Text by K.N.Sukhadan
Media around the world have raised the ball of interest to the skies. People are celebrating the “festival” raising flags and flex boards in favor of teams contesting in every nook and corner even in the remote villages of Kerala. We have to set clever traps for children and exploit their interest in the game. The following are some crude suggestions. Please go through it and refine it.
1. Giving a speech in assembly deliberately in English.
Dear children, world cup foot ball match begins on ……… Which are the teams? Can you name them? ( Elicit names) Who are the main players? ( Elicit names) Who is your favorite player (Give options?) I am a fan of Argentina. Sreekala is a fan of Brazil.( ask and elicit answers) Your teacher will say more about it at your class.
2. Class teachers show some maps /flags. Children identify them. They say the name of the country. Let them write the name on BB or let them select the name from a list.
3. Form groups based on the countries contesting.
4. Groups may collect the pictures of the players from news papers.
6. Brief talk on the players.
7. Preparing profile of the players
8. Making slogans and posters.
9. Class and school wise quiz programmers.
10. Predicting the next days news paper head.( On important events)
11. Watching the video of last day’s play and giving running commentary.
12. Predicting the result of plays every day. Prize distribution for accurate prediction.
13. Display of important players (Today’s Hero) on the notice board by different groups.
14. Organizing a ceremony to congratulate winners
15. Publication of wall magazine